Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I'm choosing my battles

Anna has started throwing little fits when she feels something isn't going her way. Prior to tonight, she has only done it when I've laid her down in her crib to sleep and she's not been ready for that. I've learned to walk away and let her cry and kick her legs, because she only does it for about 30 seconds, then she's asleep. Well, tonight was something different. Notice in the picture, she's sleeping with a green cup. Yeah, that's a bath toy. It's her favorite bath toy. (I don't really understand that either, but that's another story. I mean, of all the bath toys, she chooses the cup, but whatever.) So tonight, she's taking a bath and I decide it's time for her to get out. Usually this is no big deal and she just goes with the flow. Notice I said usually. Tonight was such a different story. I take the cup from her hand (because of course she's playing with her favorite bath toy) and pick her up to dry her off. She loses it, ya'll. I mean, screams, like someone has just taken away her best friend. So, of course, I immediately set her back down in the water and give her back the cup. All is well. So I'm thinking, ok, she just needs another minute or two with the cup and then we'll be good to go. She plays some more and then I try the "take out" routine again. Same result. She screams. At this point, I realize that she's not ever going to be ready to leave the cup so I grab it and hand it over to her. Ya'll, she hung on to that silly cup thru diapering, putting on her pajamas (though she did have to switch hands with it) and then took it to bed with her. Apparently she's grown a little attached to the green cup with an orange rim. Who knew a cup could be so comforting!?!

0 comments: